05 February, 2012

Miyata Details - Stripping and Cleaning

I've spent the past week doing all the dirty work, cleaning up old grungy parts and stripping paint. My least favorite activity in a restoration project. But I've made good progress, especially yesterday and today.

The hardest part to strip was the frame. Lots of little nooks and crannies to get into:

By comparison, the engine cleaned up nicely. I pulled both the magneto side and clutch side covers off, so I could clean them inside and out. I decided not to take off the cylinder, since it looked so good. I did, however take off the cylinder head and decarbonize the combustion chamber.

Chris H.

No comments: