16 June, 2010

Shmaltz Brewing Coney Island Sword Swallower Steel Hop Lager

22oz.

7.2% abv

I was pretty excited when Susan brought home three more 22oz beers for me, thanks to her Mother, my little Mexican beer shopper. And one of the offerings was a Coney Island variety from Shmaltz Brewing.

It poured out quite flat, with essentially zero head. It had a fair amount of bubbles, so it wasn't flat. For a "Lager" is was exceptionally hoppy. It felt like a really good IPA, with a great hoppy nose. There was a bit too much bitterness for my taste, but I could appreciate the flavors.

It wasn't overpowering with hops though, as there is some great smooth malt flavors throughout. Overall, not my favorite Shmaltz offering, but something I wouldn't mind drinking again, especially when I want something different and hoppy.

C'

No comments: