08 January, 2013

Kriek Trub

During the holiday break, Susan's little sister Wilson and I brewed up a kriek, which is a cherry lambic. We mashed a pretty normal grain bill with two row, wheat, and some crystal 20, then soured it for 48 hours. We ended up with 3 gallons of wort that smelled like bad feet and dead hookers.

Then we went through a normal boil process, cooled, and pitched Belgian abbey yeast. Fermented on some cherries for two weeks, then transferred to secondary today with some additional cherry juice/syrup. I plan on letting that do its thing for a couple months.

The following is a jar of Trub I pulled off the bottom of primary. I'm thinking I could repitch for some sort of Belgian ale recipe, maybe a quad of some sort.

1 comment:

sean said...

Oooh, nice! I love a good kriek. We're aging a Belgian strong brown right now.