I started getting busy on the DKW project. Since just restoring bikes a is a bit boring, I've decided to build it into something fun. Have no fear DKW purists, I won't be chopping up the original hard to find parts, like the stock front and rear shocks, chrome fenders, or tank. But I have decided to chop the frame a bit.
After chopping off the rear portion of the frame, now I need to mockup what I'll be building:
I've also been busy cleaning up and building the hub assemblies. I pulled the brakes completely apart and ran all the small bits through the small tumbler I have:
Yes, speedholes. This is the front hub, complete with cooling holes and fancy little mesh screens I built using some screen, a washer, and a press to create a "cup" shape to the screen, so it fits into the holes. Then it got epoxied into place:
The 18x2.15 AL rims have an anodizing coating on them. Instead of spending a week sanding through it, I've used some easy chemical solutions to effectivelly dissolve it. Then I can clean it up. I'm not going with a full polish, but instead opting for a smooth finish using 000 steel wool and WD40:
The rear portion of the frame after chopping it off. This was by far the ugliest part of the bike:
The rear hub and wheel assembly. Steel wool and WD40 give the AL parts a nice finish. I used new zinc coated spokes intended for a Honda CL90. Just the right length at 160mm. I got pretty lucky mocking these up with some older CL90 spokes, and sure enough the length was just right. The bike oriignally came with a 21" front wheel and 18" rear wheel. I'll be running 18" all around:
I've modified the Earles front forks a bit. I needed to lower the front end a couple inches, and didn't want to molest the stock Boge shocks. I happen to have these Fastace pit bike shocks, so I fabbed up new upper shock mounts. I'll have quite a bit of height adjustment using these units: